Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Seems like a reasonable approach to me (since it's the one I normally use), although I try to make contact every day or three. As my wife and father are two of those who just KNOW I may have just been run over by a logging truck, I understand the desire to make tracking automatic and easy for family. Nevertheless, I don't see feel the need to feed their paranoia. The last thing I want is a phone call when I've got gastric issues asking why I haven't moved for the last 30 minutes, or calling the sheriff because I stopped for lunch a nap at an overlook with no restaurant showing on the satellite map.
+1

That ... and really ... who follows other cyclists that closely?

I can see it for randonneuring events like the PBP that last for 3.5 days, and you're excited for certain cyclists you know, so you follow their progress to the end.

But a casual tour that lasts several weeks? Nah. Personally, from a "friend or family" perspective, I'd rather just see a collection of photos posted every once in a while on FB saying, "This is where we've been and what we've seen".