Old 10-25-15, 05:32 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rsilvers
Using the same tooling would not mean the same product if they used lower modulus CF or didn't orient the directions correctly. But on the other hand, I think there is a significant chance it would be just as good.

But if the odds are 25% that it would be just as good, and then why not just buy a one-year old Giant Propel for $1200 and be done with it?

I considered making a Chinese generic bike, but then I added up the cost and it was about $1800 in all. And then I saw small companies selling such bikes already build for $1300 slightly used 2015 models, and thought it would be better to just buy one already assembled from them. And then I realized I could just buy a Fuji all-carbon bike for $1500 new on sale with Ultegra at the local bike shop. And then I realized I could buy a Giant Propel-A2 new for $1900. And then I realized I could just buy a dream bike used for a few months at 1/2 price. The more I looked at the options, buying a frame from China and building it made less and less sense.
None of those options will be close to 15 lbs let alone 13 lbs