View Single Post
Old 10-26-15, 05:27 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR
Wow this is an old thread

The point is when you spend around £800 on a bike like the Dahon MU SL it ought to be right... you shouldn't have to faff about stripping and lubricating hinges and clamps. I have no doubt if I had kept mine it would have been in the council metal recycling skip by now

By contrast my 2009 Brompton Titanium S-Type which I have had for five years, seven months and used for the daily commute in all weathers all year round, snow, ice the lot is still working perfectly, no rattles, squeaks or bits breaking. Its had new brake shoes and two sets of Kojak tyres .... Its been a wonderful bike and far better than the Dahon rubbish.
I was simply unable to find a Brompton with useable gearing for my commute, and there's not one that doesn't flex horribly when ridden hard.

Dahon provided a bike that solved both issues at half the price of a 3sp Brompton. Way stiffer, 27 well spaced gears and rides like a real bike.

If Dahon is qualified as rubbish, then Brompton could be qualified as overpriced rubbish.