View Single Post
Old 10-27-15, 11:24 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
We ride year round here in Alaska. We both have fat tire singles and built a fat tire tandem last winter (like Colotandem). I commute to work on a studded tire fat bike down to 0 degrees you just have to dress properly. We don't necessarily get fitter in the winter just try to maintain. We also do some trainer work on Elite brand trainers that are computer controlled with many downloadable rides on a big screen tv in front of trainers, not our favorite but sometimes the only way to get a ride in. Age is a number I'm a young 61 and we try our best to keep up with the youngsters on big rides and occasionally surprise them when we can hang. San Diego in the winter would be like summer riding here as far as temps are concerned.
The issue is not riding year round, its riding after work when it is dark and cold.
Cold is a relative thing. Some people tolerate it better than others, my wife doesn't do well when it is below about 65 degrees, she wears a vest when it is 70.
When you live somewhere where it is warm, your body doesn't tolerate cold as well.
It makes a big difference riding when it is 55 degrees during a sunny day compared to after work in the dark.
Also it can feel much colder when there is humidity like fog. I will bet in Alaska the air is pretty dry during the winter.
There are places in San Diego county where it can easily get in the 30's during the winter.
This probably sounds whimpy to you but it is real.