View Single Post
Old 10-30-15, 04:05 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I've already swapped most of my wide range 12-25t cassettes for 13-23t cassettes in order to gain more useful (to me) gearing.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
You got it! My '91 Bianchi went from a 12-28T cassette to a 13-23T, now a 13-21T, and I don't miss what I trimmed off the ends. If I become stronger/faster in the future, I'm more likely to switch to a bigger big ring than to stretch my cassette back out again...
This is what I don't understand. What is the advantage of such small increments? Surely not redundancy, but that's what it seems to approach. I've found that the increments around 7-7.5% are barely noticeable. I'd be inclined to call those useless if the alternative wasn't a single 15% jump, but even then, often enough I'll inadvertently skip over a gear and it won't matter, and there are plenty of times when it's necessary to make big jumps over two or more cogs.

In what circumstances do you most appreciate smaller steps? Flat stretches of a couple of miles or more? That's something I don't get much of....