Old 10-31-15, 10:29 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
musculo-skeletal blockages to going lower on weight

Up until ~2 years ago I had discovered a fitness sweet spot that I had not enjoyed in years: namely I was in really good physical condition for my aging 51 year old body. I had built up a lot of strength and resilience through regular gym class workouts including weight training, spinning, even Zumba and of course a steady diet of road riding.

Fast forward 2 years. I have been in a relationship that involved a lot of driving. I saw my gym time go away and gradually forgot about regular workouts. I watched my weight slowly go into the 190's, then over 200, then over 210, and eventually you quit weighing in and when you venture a look you're pushing 230.

Well, now I am making a concerted effort to be back at the gym regularly but it really is like starting from ground zero all over again. My brain and my cardiovascular system are motivated and capable but my MUSCULO-SKELETAL system is what is holding me back. I mean, am I the only one whose hips and hip flexors are so stiff that beginning to work them in pilates/yoga class is near impossible?

I mean I feel like I am up against a wall where all the built up tightness concentrates inflexibility in the low back, the hips, etc... I have been working on my core but apparently not enough as I have only dropped one pants size (from a 40 to a 38). I mean a couple of years ago I wore size 34 pants every day and had a few pair of size 32 that fit me well. I was confident in my ability at the time as it seemed that if I exercised there was a direct correlation to my weight and also my proficiency of riding on the bike translated to my road biking performance as well.

I sort of remember this dark phase from the last time when I pushed through some kind of invisible barrier and my strength and flexibility came though for me. I just wonder among the clyde/athena collective here: are any of you being held back by nagging tightness, strength imbalances and such? How are you working through it?