Old 11-02-15, 07:42 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by psychonurse
I have bad arthritis but love to do bike trips. My wife just bought a Specialized Ruby road bike. So little effort to ride. My problem I can't put pressure on my hands and lean over like the bike is set up to do. Do they make a 15lb to 18lb carbon fiber or aluminum road bike that I can ride like a cruiser. Thanks. Mike
Is the arthritis affecting your hands, back or both? I think you are going to be disappointed to find out that once you change the riding position to upright with a riser stem and cruiser bars, that 15-18 pound bike isn't going to be as effortless as your wife's Ruby. Weight does make a difference but more important are geometry, rider position and quality of components. If you are putting too much pressure on your hands it is likely a combination of aggressive geometry and poor bike fit. Go to an LBS that has a good bike fitter and work with him/her to determine your best riding position in respect to both comfort and efficiency. Then find a bike with an appropriate geometry and get the fit tuned with the right stem, bars, seat post, and crank length. With a proper fit, you shouldn't be putting a lot of pressure on your hands even with drop bars.