Jaz123

Bikes: '09 Specialized Ruby Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training for a 75 mile ride in 3 weeks

Hi,

I'm planning to do the El Tour de Tucson 55 mile coming up in 3 weeks with zero experience in long distances and have only cycled for commuting before this. Right now I'm fairly certain I can do the 55 easily by then so I'm curious to see if I can push myself to a 75 with the time I have. It looks doable on a map because I've done the middle (21-36) before with all the hills but of course everything looks easier if you look at it in sections.

I've been training for only a month because it was a last minute decision and also lost about 2 weeks after starting due to feeling sluggish (worried I was overexerting) but I've been riding 100+ miles per week for the last 2 weeks. The longest ride so far is a 40 mile ride with 1,800 ft elevation gain at 13 mph and 2 short breaks but I did get worn out with all the climbs. Did a 20 mile ride on a flat route the next day so I was not completely burned out by the ride.

Here's the route of the 75 mile: El Tour de Tucson 75 miles in Tanque Verde, AZ, United States | MapMyRide
55 mile: El Tour de Tucson 55 mile in Catalina Foothills, AZ, United States | MapMyRide

If you think it's possible, what should I do differently in terms of training? My daily rides have so far been just around 20-25 miles partially due to time constraints in the morning but there are days where I definitely have more time to go farther. The last week should be tapering so I've heard so really that gives me 2 weeks.

Here's my weekly mileage. I think I'm still figuring out my abilities so that's why the numbers jump. I'm not following the 10% guideline.

Week 1: 70
Week 2: 70
Week 3: 70
Week 4: 115
Week 5: 145

Any thoughts?