View Single Post
Old 11-03-15, 01:53 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Some of you already know this, but since WR posted his update, I might as well post mine. I have decided to retire from racing effective immediately. The glaucoma in my left eye has continued to take away peripheral vision despite four surgeries. It's OK for work, driving (although I cannot get a CDL), and recreational riding, but it is too risky to myself and everyone around me to have compromised vision in the peloton. It does not affect me as a cycling referee or judge, or as a race director. I am going to continue to participate in this sport as a rider and official. Throughout the years, I had more success than most, made many friends, and have a clear future. I could never give back what this sport has given to me, but I am going to try.

As for the 33, I'm not going anywhere.
Best of luck with that. My dad's been fighting with glaucoma all his life. Long ago ran out of drugs to treat it and has been dealing with various surgical interventions ever since. Last 10+ years, they've put a little valve in his eye covered by a slit of skin and the doctor takes a stitch out or puts a new one periodically to adjust the pressure.