Old 11-03-15, 04:53 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Tail light flashing modes, which is best?

I have a Cateye Rapid X2 tail light, which has a variety of flashing modes to choose from. I'm wondering why there are so many modes, and if there is a "best" in terms of visibility. This discussion doesn't have to be relegated to this light, just in general, if there is a preferred mode.

The Rapid X2 has a standard flashing mode (which is kind of on and off at a constant rate),
a "rapid" flash mode (rapid flashing of lower light and a single burst of very bright light),
a "pulse" mode which is basically like a wave of dimmer to brighter light (so there is not an "off" sequence),
and a "vibration" mode, which is another fast flashing mode, but with very bright light.

I generally use "rapid" since it gets twice the battery time of "vibration", though that would be my second choice. Pulse is ok, but the bright portion of the pulse is not as bright as the other flashing modes. Regular flash is my least favorite, as in my opinion, a constant flash is not as noticeable to drivers as a more random pattern of flashing.

Other opinions?