View Single Post
Old 11-05-15, 05:43 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
As the original I hate wind poster........

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Use the wind as a training aid. When I ride into the wind, I just focus on heart rate and cadence. When I have a tailwind, I go for Strava KOMs.

I know a lot of people that run out of their house when a storm is coming through Phoenix so they can snipe segments.
Originally Posted by YogaKat
I have a love/hate relationship with wind. I love headwinds because I know it makes me stronger yet curse at it at the same time. It is nice when I have that tailwind behind me though. In Oklahoma wind is just part of life.
Originally Posted by RPK79
Headwinds don't make me stronger. I have a hard time, mentally, really pushing it into a strong wind. I just can't bring myself to really dig down and push to get up to 12 MPH. Now, up a hill? I can push up that because I can see the hill. Ugh, I hate wind...

....it doesn't make me stronger either. I have severe back problems, one of which is spinal stenosis, and doc says riding is geat exercise for me but try to avoid long hills or steep climbs as it aggrivates my leg and back pain.

We have a 3 1/2 mile hill on the local mup and I can usually make it up without stopping but the pain gets pretty bad near the top.

Riding into heavy winds is for me like riding steep hills....no fun and painful. I try to ride every day so I'm no stranger to wind, but I still get stiff and sore after riding on windy days.

When I take to the road, it also makes it very difficult for me to hear motorists approaching from the rear as I tend to rely more on sound than my mirrors.