View Single Post
Old 11-05-15, 01:31 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,144 Times in 559 Posts
I started racing when I was 13. By 16, I was racing Cat. 3 adults. I think I was in my best form at age 17, (1990) when I put in a solid 3rd place showing at the Southern California (District 3) TT championship and 4th in the districts road race (I think Fast Freddie Rodriguez may have won both). I was consistently good, but never exceptional. Had a lot of top 6 finishes but only one win. Still, those summer months as a teenager were idyllic--few obligations, great roads in all directions from my house, a swimming pool at home for a post-ride cool down, and a lucrative (for a teenager) job 3-4 nights a week delivering pizzas to fund bike parts and race entry fees. Ah, to be young and carefree! Age 18 season went well, but not great, and I think I was starting to burn out. Then I went to college, where I continued to delivery pizzas, but at that point my money was going to tuition, rent, books, beer and other vices. Stopped riding almost entirely in order to focus on school and socializing. Fast forward a couple decades...

Now that I'm in my 40s, I'm riding more than I have since high school. I don't have the top speed I once did, except on a straight downhill. I can still push a decent pace, but lack the explosiveness (and fearlessness) needed to compete in crits and have too much excess weight to hang with fast riders on hilly courses. But I find the biggest difference is the recovery. Not just from day to day, but especially mid-way through rides. I used to try to challenge every sprint and summit on group rides. Now I have to hold something back on longer rides, not try to go all-out for the top of a climb in the middle of a ride for fear that I'll end up limping home. I'm getting faster, but I know I'll probably never be as fast as I once was.