Old 11-05-15, 04:15 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I agree, it's easy to lose a cyclist if they run only a flashing rear light at night.
Right...

The flashing light draws the attention to you and the steady light allows them to keep track your location.
Your eye seems to perceive it as movement and it gets it's attention.

I am not a fan of strobing lights in the darkness.
It's a debate in and of itself. I am a fan of moderately powered ones - they make you stand out as a bike. As a driver I more easily recognize a bike.

When they reach a level brighter with a pattern more obnoxious than that I become torn. On the one hand it's annoying. On the other hand, it can keep cars from passing right next to you, the annoyance causes them to want to go wide around you and not get to close. I'm on the fence about what I think about it.

I also think reflective gear is at least as important as lighting in the dark.
I personally don't agree...I don't think anything beats a light. Reflective gear is a light that only works when someone else is pointing a light at you.

If one wanted to maximize their visibility, I've seen bikes with those strings of low power led's on them. This guy is as visible as possible:

These bikes are pretty visible:

Reflective gear is better than nothing, but I don't like how it only lights you up when someone else's light is on you.

I use a cheap coin-cell flashing light on my helmet at night time as a flasher and turn my Dinotte 300r on steady-low mode. Combined with the reflective gear there's no way a car overtaking me is going to miss me at night.
See above pics if you really want max visibility.