Old 11-05-15, 05:06 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The tracking issue is mostly irrelevant. Since a rear light is primarily seen from behind, there isn't much lateral movement going on.
I don't agree, it's still important when you're passing them a few feet away.

The first thing you want in a light is to be seen from as long a distance as possible.
I don't agree, being seen from 100 yards or 300 yards makes little difference to me. It's the person who's car is next to me or 10 feet back that I'm the most concerned about.

Flashing increases the noticeability. That is, a flashing light is seem much sooner than a solid light.
Blinking certainly catches your attention a lot more.

If they are close enough where tracking is an issue, the car's headlights are likely what is being used for that.
It works if the car is behind you, but not when you're coming in at an angle (bike path crossing a road for example, or a road crossing a road). I prefer anything I use to be visible from all needed angles 100% of the time. No drawback to reflective, not trying to talk anyone out of it, I just think active lighting is better.

Reflective stuff is useful but that's usually recognized later/closer than a flashing light is.
Agree.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 11-05-15 at 05:09 PM.