Old 11-05-15, 07:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I don't agree, it's still important when you're passing them a few feet away.
If they are that close, they won't really be able to see the light very well at all. If you are at the right side, the light is not pointed at the driver and may be obscured by the car.

I don't agree, being seen from 100 yards or 300 yards makes little difference to me. It's the person who's car is next to me or 10 feet back that I'm the most concerned about.
No driver next to you is seeing your rear light. If they first notice you at 10 feet, reacting to you is a risky, emergency maneuver.

A safe pass has to be established much earlier than 10 feet.

The farther the distance, the longer time is available to notice you, plan an action, and execute that action.

If being distracted occurs briefly, that longer time make it more likely you will be noticed and much less of a surprise.

It works if the car is behind you, but not when you're coming in at an angle (bike path crossing a road for example, or a road crossing a road). I prefer anything I use to be visible from all needed angles 100% of the time. No drawback to reflective, not trying to talk anyone out of it, I just think active lighting is better.
Rear lights are really poor for any angle except for a fairly narrow angle centered on straight-back.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-05-15 at 07:51 PM.