View Single Post
Old 11-06-15, 12:34 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I was slowest when I was 19. I was in the Killbot Factory, stationed in the Netherlands from 1988-1992, just a stone's throw from the Belgian border, and about a 5-iron from the German border.
I did 12 races while there, but I was stuck in the International Class, which included European Olympic teams, and everyone who was doping according to the book "Dog in a Hat." I never amounted to dry poop while doing it, and came home dejected and left the bike alone for about a decade. I was training my BUTT off, riding constantly. But I wasn't resting, wasn't sleeping nearly enough, and it turns out my position was all wrong.

I was actually fastest (so far) in 2006. I'd just gotten my power meter, had just gotten a pro fit done by Nate Loyal, was getting plenty of sleep, eating very well and training smarter rather than harder.
On this day, I rode up to GMR (which I'd always remembered as a fairly toughish climb back when I was a teenager) and I was amazed at how EASY it was! I was flying up the hill light-as-a-fart, and my HR practically idling.
I had all these dreams of being the next Ludo Dierckxens, blooming in my 40's, and getting back into racing...

...then on the drive home, I remembered that the lowest gear we had back in the 80's was a 42-21, while I'd just finished riding up that same road to the Baldy chairlifts with a 39-25.

It was fun being fast for a day at least. My gf and I are finally getting serious about training again, so I hope to get actually fast this winter.
May I ask what did you do differently this time around then when you were in you 20s? I have a hard time getting real fitness to stay on our longer hot dog ride not that I turned 50 jsut a few days ago. I have riding 3-4 times weekly killing myself with a fair big gear pushing and spinning a 53x16. I just don't have the explosiveness when the boys hammer on the hill short hills. Recovery is another issue I am noticing. BTW, I used to hate GMR especially going to the ski lifts. Have you ever done the front side from Upland?