Old 11-06-15, 03:49 PM
worldbicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a Brompton UL touring bike - Feedback wanted

Hey guys,

I'm getting a Brompton S6E in a week and I want to modify it for extended touring, a 1+year trip in Asia (Arabic world and Indian subcontinent). I do have plenty of touring experience, did 132 countries so far, but it's the first time I'd tour on a folding bike. I wanted to hear suggestions and discuss some of the ideas I have.

The default setup is a S6E with +8% on the gear set for higher speeds, 6 gears, a firm suspension, a Brompton saddle, the extended saddle post, S handlebar, no racks, no mudguards, SON dynamo and SON lighting and Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

I will be using Apidura bags, handlebar bag and saddle bag to carry my luggage, as well as a 20L backpack, which will be mostly empty. I use it for electronics/documents, to keep them close to me and safe from vibrations.

I also got 1000€ worth of titanium and carbon parts from a Korean company called NOV design. They make custom Brompton parts and I can replace lots of tiny things like the hinges, quick releases, nuts and bolts, the suspension block and chain tensioner.

I'm currently looking at bike components that would bring the weight down a bit more. A Selle Italia SLR TEKNO saddle (90gr) or an alternative in the 100-150gr range; for pedals I thought about Crank Brother Eggbeater 11 ti or the magnesium platform pedals that are offered on Brompfication.com (both around 175gr). They also have inner tubes that supposedly save 25gr each, Maxxis Ultralight, which is huge considering that they are at the most important part of the bike: The outer end of the tires. I know Kojaks or similar light tires would save a lot of weight too, but I do like Marathons. I've cycled a lot with them and barely have flats, even in harsher conditions.

I'm still trying to decide on a crank-set. It's a bit difficult because I don't have the bike here yet and most crank sets come with 2-3 chain rings...

I also saw a titanium seat post that saves 175gr(?) and a telescope seat post that allows the use of a carbon seat post at the upper end. I do not know which one would be better. I'm 188cm, so rather tall. Does anyone have more information on the telescope seat posts?

I might get a carbon handlebar so shave some more grams off, and I'm internally debating if I should use bar tape (light) or ErgonGrips (comfort). I used both on previous tours, both were fine.

I'm not going to replace hubs, spokes or rims.

I was told about microSHIFT smaller/lighter shifters/levers, but I have no idea if they would work with Bromptons gearing and if/how much they'd be lighter.

Still trying to figure out where and how to store water too. I was thinking about a Alpkit Stemcell/RevelateDesigns MountainFeedbag on the handlebar (I can just an extended bolt to hold the second velcro strap that usually goes to the handlebar stem), but only gives me 1L so far. I still need to find space for 2L more. My usual places do not work: I don't have a frame triangle with 2 bottle cages. I don't have space under the saddle for a 2x tacx bottle cage holder, because I use the Apidura saddle bag. I don't have space on the front fork for GorillaCages/SalsaAnythingCages because it would interfere with folding. My current idea is just adding a bottlecage to the frame, horizontally and a second one at the handlebar stem, but that would stick out like a sore thumb when folded.

Accessories I'll install are a cat-eye speedometer, a tiny handlebar compass and a Garmin GPS.

Sorry for so much text. It really is an interesting project for me, trying to fit an ultralight touring setup using frame bags on a bicycle like this.

If you are interesting in the rest of my packing list, have a look here http://lighterpack.com/r/f4mykt

Cheers,
Patrick from WorldBicyclist

PS: Just read through all Brompton-related posts of the last 10 pages. And I'm totally getting an Ikea Dimpa bag now.

Last edited by worldbicyclist; 11-06-15 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added the PS