Old 11-06-15, 09:56 PM
worldbicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike.gang.uk: Yeah, it is About the rack: This year I cycled through Siberia in winter with a fully and later on bikepacked the silkroad. From Japan to Georgia with frame bags only. I really don't need the rack, next year I have even less/smaller equipment.

It wont fold with the handlebar bag attached, that I know. I have to detach at least one bag for that. The folding I mostly need for flights, since I have many closed land border and islands states I want to visit. Folding the bike is not something I'd be doing daily. I never toured with a kickstand (except my very first touring season 8 years ago), I just lean the bike at something.

blakcloud: Thanks for the link. I checked that site out earlier, they even wrote a little ebook on Brompton touring, but it's a very different approach to mine. They are more traditional, with lots of gear, panniers, etc. I do like speed more than they do.

I don't have 20+ kilos of gear. It comes down to 12kg of gear atm. I trim both the bike and my gear for weight a lot. +8% because it's not much luggage. On my last trip I had 15kg of luggage, cycled through the Pamir highway at parts, 3300m passes on gravel, and did not have to use the smallest chain-ring up front. Next year I mostly have flatter areas, although I'm really curious how 6 gears will hold up to the challenge.

S handlebar is perfect, I test rode the Bromptons at a bikeshop before. It's the only sitting position I really liked, it's closer to the road bike I ride.

Road bike saddle will be fine, I rode all my trips (Argentina to Canada, Germany to South Africa, Germany to Japan) with road bike saddles. I don't have issues with my butt.

From what you wrote you are more a traditional tourer, heavy and durable bike, lots of luggage, comfort, slow speed. I'm more a guy on a racing bike that happens to carry a tent with him and cycles 150-200km a day, the more the better. It's a different philosophy. But yeah, I'm well aware that this is crazy, which is what I love about it. 2 years ago I did a sahara cross on a carbon road bike, people told me it's the least able bike, but I thought it fit perfectly. ^^