Old 11-06-15, 11:50 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Thanks for the link! I'm really digging this trailer idea. My friend who rode across the US said he wished he'd had one. I wont be doing any off roading aside from the occasional dirt road to the campsite.

How do the trailers handle going downhill? Do they get really squirrelly?
As for handling downhill, good question as I upgraded my bike last year to one with disk brakes partly for this reason.
The weight of the laden trailer means you need to think about your braking distances down steep hills.
The trailers also have recommended speed limits.
Cant remember what they are but as I'm a "meanderer" cyclist who likes to enjoy the view my pace is always fairly sedate anyway.
I wouldn't describe either trailer handling experience as squirrelly but you do need to pay attention to what you are doing.
Especially with the two wheel trailer, you need to be very aware of just how close you are to curbs etc.
This isn't at first intuitive but the trailer is much wider than just the bike and it takes a little while for it to impart itself on your grey matter.

A caveat of touring with trailers is almost everyone initially takes too much stuff, because you can.
You end up like Hansel an Gretal leaving a trail, instead of breadcrumbs, excess baggage.

Load heavy items low is the key to the best handling.
I can now laugh at the amount of gear I attempted to take on my first trailer tour.