Old 11-07-15, 12:50 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Would it be cheaper to buy a new fork with eyelets or a rack/panniers that doesn't require eyelets? I've looked at Old Man Mountain but at almost $200 for the rack alone it's a bit out of my budget.

Suggestions?

I'm biking across country next year from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine so keep that in mind when replying.

Thanks!
You have time. When I was setting up my touring bike, I had similar issues with OMM racks: I felt like the Cold Springs suited my needs, but was way more than I wanted to pay. Fortunately, like you, I was in no hurry. I set a price that I was willing to pay for the rack, and watched eBay. Eventually I had my rack at a price I could afford.

Originally Posted by Ty0604
I hammock camp too. Do you use a pad with yours? So many cyclist do but it's extra weight and I've never used one even in normal hammock camping. I hear a lot of them say it protects you from the breeze from underneath but my sleeping bag is plenty warm enough.
I used to carry a pad with mine. It was difficult for me to stay on top of, and it almost always ended up being thrown out of the tent early on in the night. Now I have insulation that hangs underneath my hammock, and it makes it very toasty down to temperatures near freezing. So far, I haven't had any desire to camp in temps colder than that. On my last trip, I put my hammock and bedding into a dry bag and tied the dry bag on to my handle bars. I used a piece of an old pad to wrap around my dry bag to protect it from the straps. It's the first time I've traveled with a pad in years. Although a pad would likely come in handy if you ever couldn't find a way to hang your hammock and had to sleep on the ground.