View Single Post
Old 11-08-15, 04:16 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mtseymour
Although the Q factor may not suit every team, there are many frames that work well with 145 or 160mm wheel spacing.

If you're using hydraulic brakes, are you using external cable routing? Please post a photo because we're considering this option. Also, please post a follow-up on the Whisky No.9 fork after you put some miles on it.

We used the R603 and was happy with its performance. You should be able to find it on eBay. If you want to use Di2, then you're looking at a double tandem crankset. You can try to use a modified XTR/Ultegra Di2 with a triple crank, but it may be problematic. While the Lightning cranks are expensive, they offer a wide range of arm lengths and Q factors. Despite their light weight, our Lightning cranks have been reliable and quiet. With your power-to-weight ratio, a 50-34 crank with 32T cassette might be enough for the Pyrenees. It's easy to switch to 36T or 40T cassettes if you're doing loaded touring.
We did have the Shimano r603 crankset before moving to Di2, but since that crankset had limited options for a double ring setup and could not do a 130/74mm bcd double, I sold it in leau of getting standard double/triple FSA cranks and running 48/30 rings which yields plenty of gearing for us. It will be interesting to see if Shimano might introduce a set of road triple Di2 derailleurs at some point, and then I'll wish for the narrow r603 cranks again. I would like to see daVinci go to a ISIS bb spindle as Cannondale has with its Hollogram crank, then I would seriously consider those.