Old 11-09-15, 05:58 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
That said, if you are experiencing numbness after 10 miles and you don't have an underlying injury, then you need to seriously look at your fit. Even with a relatively spartan handlebar wrap, you shouldn't have problems like that.
I agree. I no longer think that numbness is primarily due to vibration coming thru the bars (to be cured by better bar tape). I agree that fit is the problem. BUT conditioning (is your body used to these new positions - gotten used to the new pressure points of a road bike) and moving your hands around to use all the options on the drop bar. My hands would hurt and would get numb at times when I seriously resumed cycling about 5 years ago. Proper saddle position, reach and improving leg and core strength has helps a lot. I now lean on my hands much less than earlier on. Moving my hands around all the time helps too - tops, ramps, hoods, drops, one handed, no hands.

Variety, getting the bike fit right and grinding out the miles.

I'm reminded of my high school soccer coach. We'd hurt or ache or get sore. He'd say "just play thru it" as he knew that conditioning cured most of it.