View Single Post
Old 11-09-15, 04:56 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I have used showers pass and REI Novara) cycling rain jackets and pants. I actually like the REI gear better. It has held up longer and is a little less expensive. My first Showers Pass jacket, a low end style, only held up about 4 years before it started delaminating around the neck area. My wifes SP, "Touring", while a little older has also started delaminating in the collar area. The higher end "Elite" seems to hold up a little better;different fabric. If you go SP, get one of the higher end jackets.

This is my 11 year old REI rain jacket. It was used for commuting almost daily for 8 years. I used it this morning to ride down to the gym. I have a Showers Pass "Elite", but I only use it for serious rides. When the "Elite" wears out, I'll replace it with a Novara.

I've worn this REI rain jacket so much it has almost faded to white. However, It still sheds rain. I'm still using the REI pants, also 11 years old.

I agree about the helmet cover. I also believe that quality raingear is a good investment. On a tour a few years ago we had 35 days of rain. On our tour this summer we wore our rain gear for about 20 out of the 60 days. However, a few of those days were for warmth. Good gear makes riding in the rain almost enjoyable I still ride almost every day, and in Oregon that means a lot of wet days. Our rain gear is used a lot!

Showers Pass Elite jacket, REI Novara pants, and J & G helmet cover. We had temps down to freezing on this trip, but no snow.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-13-15 at 11:51 PM.