View Single Post
Old 11-10-15, 09:17 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive commute #136 :

41 degrees this morning with a 15-20 mph headwind. Dropped down a gear lower from usual to fight the breeze. Still wearing shorts.

A couple weeks ago I lost my wedding ring while doing some yardwork. One of the owners of the company I work for had a metal detector that he let me use to find it. I hadn't gotten around to returning it yet. Today another guy in the office wanted to borrow it to search for something he lost in his yard, so he asked if I would bring it in to work today.

Well, I didn't want to drive my truck (and wreck my streak) for something as trivial as hauling a metal detector, so I figured out a way to strap it onto the bike. I used velcro straps and a bungee cord and strapped it on to the frame, going the same direction as the top tube. It was about 40" long. I attached the "brain" end of it to my rear rack, and had the round "detecting" end up in front of the stem. I did a little testing to make sure it didn't interfere with my cables or my ability to turn, then off I went. It rode there surprisingly solid, not bouncing around at all. I did smack it a few times with my knee when I stood up to climb/accelerate, but for the most part hardly noticed it was there.

When I arrived at work and handed it to my co-worker he said, "How in the world did you haul this on your bike?"

My response was, "You just have to have enough 'want to.'"