SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by leegf
Aside from looking comical, are butt rockets really so bad, function-wise? I ask never having used them myself.

I totally get where @jacobversus is coming from - clean frame should be clean - but personally, I've come around to frame-mount cages in a huge way. No reason why a frame couldn't have a cage and still look good.
Butt rockets are all wrong. In the world of racing, design engineers go to great lengths to centralize mass for improved handling. The bottles should always be within the frames. Neat, tidy, compact, precise, and balanced. Having those bottles up so high and aft ruins the CoG and destroys the handling of the machine. Additionally, they create significant drag and turbulence as air flows off the riders back and rumbles violently across the inefficiently angled bottles.

In short, they drain your energy, make you slow, and make the bike handle dangerously.

These are not random opinions. These are accurate findings from a study I conducted going up and down my driveway many times. Many. And my driveway is long. And sloped.