Thread: Young C&Vers
View Single Post
Old 11-12-15, 08:08 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of us on this forum with similar stories. I am 34.

For me cycling was a passion from early on. My brother is a year older than me and it was clear I was more into bicycles than he was when we were kids. I was doing the bigger jumps on my BMX (i mean plywood ramps, not actual bmx'ing). I rode no hands around the block and he was in awe. Anyway, it was always more about getting around but when I was about 12 I started to get into mountain biking. Just getting out on the trails. This lasted till I was about 15 or 16. I had a subscription to mountain bike for about 3 years. Then I got into dirt bikes and raced motocross. My Dad rides Harleys so two wheel passions are in the family. Then girls and a car got all my attention and I went to university. I started commuting a bit during that time and the odd trail ride on a 1990s rigid. That was the Lance era and suddenly I was attracted to the history and mystique of the tour. I got an old Japanese bianchi from the recyclers and tuned it up and rode 60kms from my house to my parents and realized it was too small. I moved across the country to a large city and started to rely on commuting daily in a serious way and that is when I got interested in road bikes and then C&V. About 2005, 10 years ago. I have had an on again off again relationship with serious mountain biking and while I like road biking, MTB is my first love and primary riding. I have a few gems hanging in the basement, and a nice C&V commuter/trainer but primarily ride modern. I'm working on a retro MTb restoration atm from when I was about 12.