View Single Post
Old 11-20-05, 07:52 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
In 1970, my dad bought me my first road bike, a BSA, yes, like the motorcycle company. In college, I had a nice white bike, you know, color was most important? I absolutley can't remember it's name but it was made in Mexico. Then I stepped up and bought a used Motobecane Grand Jubilee with a mix of Campy and Suntour on it. That was a really nice bike and certainly the lightest thing that I had ever been on. It was later replaced by a Vitus which I thought was pretty cool, and for 1980, it sort of was. I replaced that with a Benotto and later a Mercx. I also had a Trek touring 620, one of the first ones that they made. In 1981, I went over to the dark side and bought a mountain bike! It was sort of unusual - it was a Montare Mountain Bikes frame which was sort of a collaboration between Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher. Shimano friction 7-speed, pre clipless pedals, no quick release hubs, and certainly not suspension. Again, this was early in the mountain bike culture and it was a cool way to cover lots of NFS trails. By the late 80s, I was really missing road bikes and bought a Cannondale 3.0 crit frame and it was super stiff and darty, but boy did it climb hills well. 12 years later my back and butt were asking for something more comfortable and I went to titanium (Merlin) and never looked back. Bla bla bla....