View Single Post
Old 11-20-05, 08:04 PM
sillygirl
Fly

Bikes: 1980 Trek 660 fixed-conversion, IRO Mark V, Trek 6700 MTB, Univega Converted-Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SandySwimmer
I'm curious what everyone is planning to do to handle Thanksgiving schedules and temptations. With traveling, holiday stress, and visiting with families . . . lots of possible situations to deal with.
I took control this year and invited the family to my place this year (add to the stress of law school much?!?)

Anyways, my main problem with Thanksgiving is the overload of butter, and the lack of both vegetables and the incorporation of seasonal produce. I am trying to remedy that as much as I can this year. I actually am basing part of my meal off of this month's Cooking Light cover recipes. Here is what is on my menu:

Sweet Potato Soup
Sage and Parmesean Roasted Turkey with Gravy
Green salad with pomegranite seeds and cinnamon toasted pecans.
Cranberry, walnut, cherry chutney
Camembert Mashed Potatoes (you barely have to use any butter when you use just a little of a strong and creamy cheese)
Apple and Potato Gratin
Oven Roasted Green Beans
Berry Pie made with splenda (shhh dont tell anyone, no one can tell the difference!)
My mom is bringing her famous pumpkin cake
Light vanilla bean icecream (the new dreyers slow churned tastes just like the real thing)

The menu sounds indulgent - and with bold flavors, no one will ever know that I used "healthy" methods, like basting the turkey with broth and not butter/juices, skipping butter in the mashed potatoes and gratin, and using splenda in the pie (i just mix splenda and berries and throw it in a pie crust and voila).

As for overeating... the only solution I have to not undereat eat all day in anticipation. Instead I try to eat frequently with low calorie bulk. LOTS of veggies/salads to get my through the day so I am not starving when the smorgasborg begins. Also I hope that finishing up in the kitchen will keep me away from my main weakness: the cheese and crakers on the coffee table before dinner.

Check out my new food blog!!