View Single Post
Old 11-14-15, 10:43 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
what numbers are best to focus on if trying to improve ones sprint?
it looks like some other replies might have taken 'focus on #s ' a bit literally.

what length are your practice sprints?

aside from all the non-power-related stuff for sprinting, i'd focus on doing repeats of 10-12" where you shift once, or maybe twice, but only after you wind out the gear.

afterwards, you can worry about analyzing all the data (and even then i wouldn't focus on 1", ever...and i'd ONLY pay attention to 5" when i made sure the raw data was not repeating 3" of the last # transmitted, as referenced earlier). i'll tend to look more at that 10-12" power. if those are done to exhaustion you can then see your maximum sprints and your repeatability, and you can figure out if you're fading at 8", 9" or 11".

IMO max power is nice, but when looking at athletes' data i care much more about acceleration and how long they can keep accelerating before they top out. that's a bigger determinant of knowing how far from the line they can jump and hold it, and contributes to more results.

if you sprint for 12" but achieve your max power in 3" and fade, as a coach that tells me that we may need to work on different things than someone who takes longer to hit their max but, perhaps, has a lower max.

of course, tactics, position on the bike, position in the pack, gearing, yadda yadda.....