Old 11-17-15, 10:25 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Also along those lines, at 50+ we sometimes have outpatient procedures. I was curious when they asked at sign-in for my driver, so I asked if I could just walk. No, they need a driver. the bus driver? Nope. Tandem bike? No, it has to be a motor vehicle. You're not even signing in unless you're there in a vehicle and they lay eyes on your driver. I relented of course and introduced my wife, but it did strike me as forcing everyone to the lowest common denominator.
Something similar happened when my sister and I took my dad for minor outpatient surgery. We understood the need for having a "responsible driver". But I had to return to my own city by bus that day, so the plan was for my sister to drive me to the bus station while my dad was in the OR. However, the clinic staff must have overheard us talking about this plan. They told her that she HAD to stay on the premises for the entire procedure, and couldn't even leave for a few minutes to drive me to the station. Otherwise, they would cancel the operation. We felt bad, but all we could think to do was "sneak out" after the procedure started. Fortunately, they never even noticed that she was gone for a few minutes.

Another time, I was in the hospital overnight for a minor work injury. At discharge time, they asked when my ride would arrive. I said I would be walking and/or taking the bus. The nurse refused to discharge me unless I had a ride, even though she had just explained in my discharge instructions that I had NO RESTRICTIONS whatsoever. I ended up telling them that my son couldn't get there for a couple hours, so I would just wait for him in the cafeteria. Then I again "snuck out" and enjoyed a relaxing walk home.

So often, the things that make being carfree or even carlight difficult are ridiculous policies that are designed exclusively for dedicated car users.
Often, they have you over a barrel where trying to explain your situation will do no good whatsoever, so you're forced to do an "illegal" work-around.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 11-17-15 at 10:31 AM.