View Single Post
Old 11-17-15, 01:00 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Thanks! I've come across the Blalock route once or twice while Googling instead of riding, and was intrigued, but haven't had the nerve (read: haven't gotten an early enough start some Summer Saturday morning with the necessary Friday planning and preparations) to do the round-trip ride. The idea of a one-way is intriguing, especially now that the days are shorter. Beyond that, I'm always curious about good routes across Route 9 and I-90...

Re: shoes. I have a similar problem. When I switched away from SPD pedals and started using big platforms (MKS-Lambda, VP-001), a few years back, I experimented with shoes and found that the ones with the highest coefficient of sliding friction provided the best foot retention on the nubbly pedals; in addition, running shoes tended to have built up heels that limited my foot positions on the platforms, rubbing the crank arms. I settled on five.ten Impact IIs, damn near perfect shoes for Fall, Winter, and Spring rides of any distance, except for one thing: they were too narrow, and my feet hurt after a long ride. Nevertheless, I kept using them, trying a shoe stretcher (helped some), sizing up (helped some too), and so forth. Meanwhile, I found shoes for Summer riding (New Balance MX-20 Minimus) that had both the grippy soles I needed and a last and width that suited my feet. Problem is, I know they won't cut it in 20degF. So the experimentation continues. Five.ten sells sheets of their "stealth rubber" sole material, and I may try having a cobbler retrofit an old set of New Balance hiking boots with that for a sole. We'll see... Meantime, best of luck with your shoe search.

rod
You could always hop the Worcester/Framingham commuter rail line out to Grafton, which is most of the way out there.

I do prefer SPD shoes for my road bike, so that limits my choices. If I can't find something, I might go to platforms+Power Grips for the winter, but I'd really rather not.