Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcallaghan
But since I am broke, it looks like I am going to stay local and do a Colorado tour this time. I will be able to pick the date a bit better, so that will give me the spring and half the summer to get some decent rides in. I certainly did a fair amount of riding (for me) this past summer, so will aim to do even more this coming summer.

Does anyone know the general camping rules? Looking at a potential route, camping seems the best option this time. More flexibility with mileage each day (20 mile downhills might mean being able to go further). Actual campsites are few and far between, though, and I have no idea how wooded the areas will be. Is it legal to pitch a tent along the side of the road (figuratively speaking) or do I have to do true stealth-camping to remain undetected?
Do what I did; email every town you're passing through on your trip and ask them about camping in their city parks while explaining you'll be on bike tour. Google the city name and use the contact info on their website. It's time consuming but I did this for my 2016 trip (sent emails to over 600 cities between my starting point of Portland, Oregon and my ending point of Portland, Maine). A majority of them (60%) are allowing me to camp in their city park for free since I asked them. They just requested I let them know when I arrived into town so they could let LEO's know I was there. The others, who said no, suggested ideas on where I could camp at for either free or cheap.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ty0604; 11-18-15 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Spelling