sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by YogaKat
That is what I was thinking I appreciate your confirming that. Not thrilled about the suicide levers but that is what I have for now. Between that and the shift levers it's a bit of multi-tasking while riding. I do love riding in the drops in the conditions that you described.

It does seem like quite a stretch for me to even ride on the hoods as it is and I will tackle the handlebars after I've taken a little more time getting used to my saddle position.

Regarding the recent repositioning of the saddle. It is much more comfortable now including on my hands.
Oh, that's good to hear!

You ride with your hands where ever you want to place them. Chas gave good advice. Once again, just because others do something it doesn't mean it will necessarily work for you. There are some "givens" with handlebars. If you're racing in a close quarters race, like a criterium, you should have your hands in the drops. You have more control, and it's a little harder to hook another rider's bars because your hands block that from happening - mostly. Out here, for the beginning racers (women Cat 4's), mentors will ride in the race and admonish people to "stay in the drops". As you gain more experience, sure, move to the hoods. Something to consider, if you're on a group ride, with a big group, and you're buried in the middle somewhere with riders all around, stay in the drops. It is just plain safer. The tops, as Chas said, are great for seated climbing. It straightens your back which opens your chest more, which theoretically allows you to breathe easier. Where your controls are is a matter of setup. If you have trouble reaching your brakes, and it's something serious, move the perches to a position to where they are easy and reliable to reach. You can, as I said early, tilt the handlebars so that the levers are easier to reach, but the best way is to just move the brake perches.