Old 11-19-15, 11:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I managed to avoid any flats for the first month after I resumed bicycling in August after a long hiatus. But it was too good to last.

I had four flats in the next month, three of 'em in one weekend. Two from goat head grass burrs (and I plucked out a dozen more that hadn't yet penetrated). One metal shard. One from a burred edge in the rim's valve stem hole (since polished out). Maybe just a run of bad luck. The highway crews had just done their last big roadside mow of the season, which probably kicked a lot of very dry, very sharp grass burrs and other junk onto the road. Since then it's rained, so maybe the hazards would have solved themselves.

But eee-nuff, sez I.

I couldn't even roll the bike a short distance home on a flat with the old tires - they rolled right off the rims, taking the tube and rim strip along. So I installed a self-sealing tube on the rear (and plan to get one for the front) and, three weeks ago, a set of Michelin Protek Cross Max. Half the price of the Armadillos and Schwalbe Marathons. So far, so good. We'll see if they're at least half as good.

While I liked the ride quality of the original Specialized Hemispheres, they weren't resistant enough to flats and wouldn't stay on the rims when uninflated. I couldn't even roll the bike a short distance on a flat. The Michelins will stay on the rim uninflated, have much stiffer sidewalls, and need a little assist from tire levers to mount/dismount. The new tires are a little heavier but I'll take 'em in exchange for fewer flats and being able to roll the bike on a flat to get off the road.

And, yeah, I flip the bike upside down to change flats. It's a little hassle because I have to loosen the top-mounted bell and Mirrycle to rotate 'em out of the way. But I'm not gonna wrestle a 30+ lb hybrid/utility bike by trying to hoist the rear one handed, while the front wheel flops around, to remove the rear wheel with the other hand. Sounds like a great way to strain my back and neck. This is the 50+ forum, right, not the racing forums? Nope, I'll save that stunt for when I can afford a 15-lb Cervelo VWD. And if I could afford that, I could afford to call a cab whenever I get a flat.

I almost always have a bunch of paper towels or bandana in my pocket. And I usually have a packet or two of wet wipes in my first aid kit. Takes care of any smudges from chain/sprocket greasy gunk.