View Single Post
Old 11-22-15, 07:45 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I retired in my 50's. I had always planned to retire early. I seldom regret my decision.

Originally Posted by jppe
....... if you stay things will probably be a lot different than what you've experienced in the past and it's quite possible your role might also be a lot more challenging.
That sounds like a threat. That would mean they don't want you to stay. It would be difficult to work where they don't want you.... so do you really have a choice?!?!?

....... and they also told you, if you leave we will compensate you with a very nice one time payment
If a token "check" matters at all.... it won't be helpful.

....... pay all your medical premiums for a year............and after that year we will give you a healthy stipend towards your medical premiums for you and your family until you are 65.
Insurance premiums are my number one expense. But I'd guess even a small amount towards an unaffordable private policy... is better than being fired and getting nothing. Just a thought. What about life insurance?

Often times people make decisions based on "feelings". So when things don't "feel right" they hesitate or do nothing at all. An unexpected retirement should feel similar to a car crash. What you should be feeling.... is called fear. Find a knowledgeable friend or family member to talk about this with. Sharpen some pencils and figure the math.

Originally Posted by jamesdak
............... go into with your eyes wide open, evaluate everything, and plan for the worse.
+1

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 11-22-15 at 07:52 PM.