clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,060 Times in 1,258 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
What I'd suggest is allowing trading straight across parts for similar parts....

I.E. Crankset for Crankset, Wheels for Wheels, etc. As long as it is a conferable trade, or trading down, and the donated part is usable.

It becomes a bit complicated if trading for something different, and how different? For example trading 27" wheels for 650b with the goal of doing an expedition build.

Likewise, a drop to drop bar trade would be expected. But a drops to flats or flats to drops becomes a build choice, and one might expect eating the cost.

But, in the end, however your accounting seems logical will probably just be fine.
I think the rules are getting in the way of some people wanting to participate. That's just wrong.

It's called Velo Cheapo. How about this. The only rule is build a cheap bike, give a brief budget break down, anecdotal stories to enhance value, (Major Taylor once rode it), impress the judges with what kinda miles/kms you've put on it (Iditarod!) and said judges can make the categories up after the submissions. "Ugliest Italian Lipstick Award" comes to mind. Rules suk.