Old 11-24-15, 06:15 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
The two or three times I was almost taken out by other riders in criteriums was because they did exactly that. I was inside of them, they dove in, and then hit their brakes in the turn. DO NOT do that! Brake prior to the turn, and then turn in. It's a big arc, smooth and graceful. (Yes, I did "educate" one the offenders - loudly - during the race. And then I stayed away from her so she could try to kill someone else....)

Yikes @sarals ! I would think at that level cyclists would know that already. I would imagine it would be difficult not to "educate' them in that situation.

Here is the video that I found most helpful. It's from the same series as the videos that you posted on fixing flats and removing the rear wheel that you posted.

Yesterday, I did find myself going into a longer sharper turn at a speed a little faster than I was comfortable with but I was able to resist the urge to brake and rode it through according to what I learned. I'll admit that I tensed up but concentrated on going on through correctly and I made it through unscathed and with a smile on my face after. Hence still learning to evaluate my speed beforehand.

The technique of having the inside pedal up and distributing the weight properly has really been a game changer for me. It really does make a huge difference in control of the bike through a turn.

That is quite a picture that you posted. I will get there someday, but for now easy does it for me.

Now back to the handlebars.

Neither Mr. YogaKat nor I am able to get this loosened up to change the handlebar position. Any advice?

Last edited by YogaKat; 11-24-15 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added a question