Old 11-24-15, 06:54 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
2011 Giant FCR3300

I made the mistake of buying this new, not intending to ride that much, which most people who bought this bike do. The largest size available was 54CM, so it was too small for me, I made it work by getting a longer seat post and stem. Many of the stock parts failed within 5000KM. Stretched chain, RD snapped in half (JRA), mini V brakes that used standard V brake levers combined with low quality pads required a death grip for adequate stopping power. The stock tires would flat sometimes three times during a typical 50KM ride. The headset was a cheapo pressed in cage bearing unit that used tiny bearings, became pitted in short order, the frame however is compatible with internal bearings. The wheels were especially horrible, multiple broken spokes, never stayed true, even re-spoked the rear wheel only to have the hub flange and rim develop stress fractures.

Replaced many parts, (handbuilt wheels, tires, new brakes, pads, levers, RD, crankset, BB and headset) and it still sucked. Short wheelbase, high BB, and toe overlap made for an awful handling bike, crashed three times, resulting in broken bones every time.

Went back to the states a few years back and retrieved my CAAD-3 mountain bike frame, and built it up a year later. I was AMAZED at the difference in ride quality and handling, sold the FCR and have been crash free ever since.
Attached Images

Last edited by SHBR; 11-24-15 at 07:40 AM.