Old 11-25-15, 05:00 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicHour
With the inRide, Are you able to calibrate or at least retain calibration settings using Zwift?
Very interested in the inRide, but the calibration feature is an important one, otherwise don't see how it would be any more accurate then zPower, which I'm currently using? since there will still be the variables of tension knob, tire pressure etc.

Waiting to learn more, and still seems like they are working things out both from Zwift and Kinetic devs....otherwise would rather save $100, and put it towards a real Power Meter.
OK. I have spent the afternoon with Zwift and the inRide pod. Here's my feeling: I don't think the Zwift concept works without a smart trainer. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I found that the lack of actual feedback when you climb to take me out of the experience totally. I didn't really feel like I was riding a bike, despite the fancy 3D graphics. I think with a KICKR it would rock, but with a dumb trainer, not so much. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I much prefer using software like TrainerRoad where it's all about hitting Power targets using gears and cadence, which is a much less abstract concept than purposely putting yourself in a harder gear when climbing.

As for calibration of the inRide pod: No, it's not there that I can see, the support is very much "alpha" I would say, even though they call it beta. The power reading off the inRide pod was way off, I was blowing past everyone with ease and running 350W average with no effort. Clearly this is wrong. With TrainerRoad I tried it calibrated and the same effort I was getting 350W in Zwift, I would say was more in the 200W range. Calibration is important, and it's not there.

BTW a calibrated inRide pod is much better than "Virtual Power", I can attest to that. For one thing, power goes to zero pretty much the instant you stop pedalling, rather than tailing off, plus the spindown calibration means that the systematic error is much smaller, and training feels much more consistent.