View Single Post
Old 11-29-15, 06:21 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I finally got a fourth wall up on the cabin/tiny house.

I've been sleeping out here since May, with a tarp over the front wall. I was hung up on making the door and refurbishing a 15yr-rusty square tenon mortising machine. But, finally got it done, wall up, door and window installed. Of course now I realize that a short set of stairs is a new priority...

The back roof is shingled, need to do the front. Also: flooring (shiplap pine), kitchen area shelving and counter, bathroom enclosure, loft, built-in daybed/storage unit. And sundry shelving.

With the tarp for the wall, it felt more like a sturdy tent; with the ability to close and lock the door, it feels like a home. 12' x 8' and I will be adding 8' x 8' of loft space. 160 sq ft, total. Pretty much anything I don't move in there with me will go.

This is a temporary place. It's built on my ex-in-law's land and they will technically own it, but condition for building it is that it is mine to live in until I move along. Ostensibly a sugar shack, it will be what I call home -- no running water, no electricity of other utilities. Propane and wood heat. Water hauled in; composting toilet (bucket and sawdust). I may go with some solar power, but maybe not. Propane cook stove and main light.

Last year, I lived in a van; this year a rustic cabin.

Living car free is one way to live simply; living home-free or home-lite is another...