Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rawklobster
I've only done one tour, but it seems I'm a bit of an anomaly. It seems many suggest either camping/cooking or hotel/restaurant, but no combo.

I personally love the camping part, but don't pack a stove and eat out most meals. Eating is my favourite part of travel, and exploring the local cuisine is definitely part of touring for me. So, I camp, but eat out. I don't drink coffee so I don't even need to carry a stove for that. Which is not to say I don't carry bread/fruit/cheese/snacks. But those are rainy day items to supplement food stops. I consider my style more "no frills" than cooking at camp. *smile*

So maybe, Independent/Foodie Camper? *smile*
Combos are great!

We'll make the decision as we go along whether we want to camp that night or stay in a hostel or hotel/B&B. And we'll make the decision as we go along whether we want to cook/make our food for that particular meal, or eat out.

If you have a look at my short tour report in the 2015 - Short Tours thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/98...ort-tours.html), you'll see that on our overnight tour this past weekend, we opted to camp and Rowan made dinner ... but our lunches were at a restaurant. If the town we stayed in had anything open after about 5 pm, we may have had dinner out too.

It's sort of a 'whatever works' at the moment thing for us.

Last edited by Machka; 11-29-15 at 09:28 PM.