JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Riding in wet is one thing...

For riding in dry cold weather, a partial shell might work better (where there is windproof stuff in the front) especially for rides where you are working. I find full shells much too warm. I use a partial shell and can layer it for colder temps. I stay dry in it from cold to fairly warm temperatures.

Stuff that is windproof and not waterproof doesn't breath that well (claims for breathability tend to be very optimistic).
Agree. Done right, this works well (and I too live in Minnesota). But "done right" is the key.

I have a pair of pants like this for really cold weather (PowerShield in front, PowerStretch in back) and I have a jacket that is built this way too. The layering is key but it does do well for getting rid of moisture but also keeps it more closed to the wind than some vented jackets are. In fact, what I also do on occasion is take a piece of PowerShield soft-shell material and use it to cover my chest either under a jersey or under a jacket for more windproof capability but I want to leave the back more open and able to shed moisture and heat. It's an easy additional layer that cuts down on air movement and can be stuffed in a jersey pocket when not needed and has use over wide temp ranges.

The problem with this sort of garment is that most people don't *really* understand how to layer and don't experiment to get it right. It also tends to be somewhat individual so I think one needs to really go through the exercise to figure it out for yourself. Once done, the benefits are significant and it's pretty easy to get comfortable for a ride (or snowshoe or ski etc..) but one has to make the commitment to figure it out.

J.