Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Thanks. BC is pretty nice with such a mix of scenery. About the only downside are the hills. You can ski Whistler of course, or do a Century ride from there to Horseshoe Bay along the Sea to Sky Hwy, which is quite popular. In the summer they even turn the ski area into a world class MTB course complete with lift rides for the bikes. I'm lucky to also dive a lot so each weekend is a battle between which I'll do. Dive/ride/dive/ride... First world problems.

This ride I did was partly to research an idea I have for an urban/suburban lower mainland event utilizing dike systems and smaller farm roads. I think I could link two or three days between historic sites and funky stops riding off the beaten path without being much more than a 1 hr drive from home. I'm planning to start a biweekly riding club thing this spring with a bunch of interested friends and hope to take them on day routes I'm doing with perhaps a weekend buildup. By spring I'll have a whole lower mainland itinerary.

Haha, the censor wouldn't let me spell dike with a y
We thoroughly enjoy cycling in lower mainland BC. Much of my family is in that area so we've done several hub-and-spoke style tours there while visiting relatives. Back in 2011, we did a slightly longer tour where my father dropped us at the Tsawwassen ferry, we sailed across to Vancouver Island, cycled up to Nanaimo, sailed back across ... my father picked us up and dropped us at my grandmother's place just outside Vancouver, then we cycled back to my parent's place from there the next day.

I've also done a fleche (BC Randonneurs) in that area.

There are some really nice smaller farm roads ... and it is so scenic.