Thread: Wahoo Elemnt
View Single Post
Old 12-01-15, 03:39 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Unfortunately, I have one too. I took a flyer on it from Amazon.

It works great by itself and it can be switched from crank to hub if you do it within the first power up from the battery before it powers off (or at some time limit). But if I use a Wahoo RPM for cadence and this for hub speed they both get screwed up. I tried working with the one man band company (which I always try to support) but it took forever to get support and then I just finally gave up. Both thing thing and Wahoo use the same Nordic Semiconductor chip and I think that might be the problem. It's not like I don't understand this stuff since I'm an electrical engineer, it's just that there is a software conflict in there somewhere.
Interesting. I took a punt on it because it was cheap and I was bored. So far I have only tried it by itself, and it worked fine as either a cadence sensor or a speed sensor over BLE using Cyclemeter or Wahoo Fitness app, but I can't get the damn thing to work with TrainerRoad iOS app (it works with their Mac app though). Did you post that review on Amazon about it interfering with the RPM? Seems odd that it would do that given that even if they're the same tech, BLE devices should all have unique IDs. I will try it with my broken BlueSC (that only reads cadence after it got sucked into my wheel and ripped apart), but the VeloComputer people seem to give dire warnings about having magnets on your bike, as it seems their device works by comparing against the Earth's magnetic field, rather than a accelerometer.
The other thing is that I found the mount to be on the flimsy side. It doesn't take much to tear the rubber and which time it could come off (especially an issue for the crank). The most robust mount is from Wahoo (tie wraps) followed by Garmin. Garmin's crank mount is just too large for my taste.
Yeah? I've mounted and remounted mine a few times, and the rubber seems to be holding up so far.

Out of interest how does it's size compare to the RPM?