Old 12-03-15, 07:34 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I was in a bit of a weight weenie mood when I built my single speed Jake the Snake a couple of years ago, so I weighed everything and kept a spreadsheet. The final build came out to just over 18 pounds. Comparing my notes to the numbers you've mentioned, I think the big differences are as you say here: about 3 pounds (!!!) for the wheels/tires/freewheel, half a pound for the saddle, probably around a pound for the fork, around half a pound for the crankset, maybe as much as a pound for the frame. My wallet came out significantly lighter too -- just my frame and fork cost me twice what you paid for the whole bike.
Yep if you abandon all hope of a lighter bike things come cheaper with less deliberation. However, for not a whole lot more money some lighter wheels and saddle could be had and it would begin to be a light bike by my standards so the temptation is always there. Not going to happen for a good while though.

Another thing to add to the review. I'd written it off as some SS peculiarity but the chain was noisy, as in needing lube noisy. But a new chain, on a new bike, needing lube - I just didn't consider it. After today's commute I finally checked. It was dry to the touch, not even sticky, and a little wet lube quieted it right down. So one more thing to add to the check-over list.

Last edited by wphamilton; 12-03-15 at 08:11 PM.