Old 12-04-15, 07:54 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I really like my BHS hubs, they do leave a little to be desired. Mine were extremely inexpensive, and have Enduro bearings, so major win. The hub shell, however, has questionable strength. Before I bought them, I researched as much as I could, and found that some people were having issues with the flange failing with radial lacing patterns. That's not a big deal to me because I laced mine 2X front, and 3X rear (24f/28r). The dishing issue is there on the rear (a minor annoyance) and the NDS tension is very low, however not enough to zero out tension under load. Doing it again, I may go with 2X, or 1X on the NDS.

I LOVE the freehub with its 6 pawls. It makes a helluva racket... loud freehubs FTW!

Now, going with a more expensive hub (and I plan on T-11 for my next build) will bring improvements in fit and finish. There is likely more testing data to stand behind the product, and I'm willing to bet manufacturing tolerances are tighter (but don't have proof to back that up). Research and development costs need to be recovered, as well as other overheads that BHS does not have for many reasons.

When you buy a product like a White Industries, American Classic, Chris King, etc., you are buying the name. You are also buying a product with a name that has a reputation to keep.

Is it worth it? I don't know, but cyclists have spent more money on products with even less of a marginal gain.