RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Is this one considered rare ? Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Carbon 1988
Mark, it's rare, but it's NOT a Dave Scott Ironman Carbon. It's a Centurion Carbon, still an '88 model, so you could get decals that work on the DT, seat stays, etc. I had 3 of the Ironman Carbon models, and have looked closely at a "straight" carbon model, so I think I can elaborate some.

The frames are likely either identical or very close; I simply don't know. The Ironman Carbon was really tight at the back wheel, like...25's may not have fit....Cllimbing hard or braking into a tight downhill corner, it was liable to rub, either on a chainstay or fork. The Carbon model, well, I have little reason to believe it's much different. Straight line, especially centuries, wow, super comfy ride. My 56cm model had a bad "gyro" effect on the front wheel; I never figured it out. Loved the frames as a builder. I wouldn't do a crit on one, or any balls-on triathlon with tight corners, and sure not in TT/Tri setup.

The Ironman Carbon version had full Dura-Ace kit. The "straight" Carbon model had 6400 series tricolor kit. That would be the main difference, but I've never seen the wheels that came on the Ironman Carbon. The Ironman Carbon was lighter, and a noodle. The "straight" Carbon was light enough, and also a noodle. The smaller frames were stiffer, simply by design (shorter tubes).

It's rare, but it needs a lot of work to be anything near original. I don't think the fork decals are available, nor are the decals for the frame that are different from the Ironman steel decals (head tube, on the front, and seat tube, on the rear.)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-05-15 at 06:20 PM.