Old 12-05-15, 10:36 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
I am certainly in the "layering" crowd, but given that you are mentioning cold temps (0c to 10c) with periods of rain, you really have to have a good rain jacket that will keep you from getting wet from the rain. Getting damp from sweating is one thing, but in these temps, you really need to have proper jacket, pants and rain booties to keep all three parts dry from the rain.
I commuted just the other day in rain and about 5 or 6c, and sure it was only a 40 min ride, but having the right fleece under my rain jacket, and all the other stuff, I was comfortable.

In the end, you really need to get out and try riding with various layers and see what works for you, because in the end, what may work for someone else may not be good for you. My regular commuting in spring and fall means I have a small group of layers, tight fitting wool tops, short and long sleeved, diff thicknesses of fleeces, windbreaker type jacket (not rain proof, but stops wind, a shell essentially), stuff like a thin toque (beanie, thin winter hat) and balaclava combo depending on temp, various gloves, inner gloves, even a pair of old goretex outer mitts (thin but go fairly high up my forearm) that I put over gloves for when its really cold. Plus some fleece mitts to go inside outer mitts if colder.......basically I have a mix and match attitude BUT its the actual riding in given temps that has taught me what works for ME

to give you an idea, because I am thin, I find I put warmer stuff on than other people, and as I have gotten older, my muscles prefer to be warmer, so what works for me is perhaps overdressed for someone else.
Just like with cross country skiing, undoing zippers, or doing them up, or adding a neckup (buff) or adding a light vest, or whatever, can often make the diff in comfort, and especially with zippers and whatnot, changing things as you feel and maybe changing when in a headwind, or a downhill, or uphill, this is all part of reacting to the temps and what your body tells you.

Still though, you have to get out there to find the various combos that work for you, you aren't going to find answers on forums, recommendations perhaps, but no clear answers.