Thread: Velocity Dyad?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-15, 09:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita
I have built 6 wheels using Dyads, including my first pair. Very easy to build and never had to touch them again. I also built a set on the A23, which were much more difficult, and have needed a fair amount of tuning up. All were 36h rear with 32h front, some with wheel smith and some with dt butted spokes.

Dyad is an excellent rim, not too wide, not too narrow, not too heavy, but solid.
I don't know what you were doing to the A23 but I've built with both and never found any difference between them in terms of build. Specification-wise, there is very little difference between the Dyad and the A23. The A23 is 75g lighter (not a huge difference when it comes to aluminum), 1mm narrower (again not much difference), and 2.5mm shorter in depth of rim.

Personally, I'd opt for the A23 over the Dyad to take advantage of the off-center drilling of the A23 and the advantages that it offers for wheel strength over the Dyad. That would increase wheel strength over any slight differences in the rim dimensions.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!