View Single Post
Old 12-09-15, 08:57 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I remember one time when I was in high school I was riding home from a friend's house late at night. As I neared a sharp corner that I had to take, I saw there was a girl walking her dog near the corner and, being 17, I hoped she saw me. So I took the corner fast, in a confident showoffy kind of way. And just as I was leaning into it, my rear wheel hit a patch of black ice and slid out from under me. In the smallest fraction of a second, my body headed for the ground--- but then my rear wheel hit dry asphalt again, and my bike instantly righted itself, though I was now heading in the wrong direction. Some exclamations escaped me as I just barely avoided hitting the curb. Within a second I was on my way again, accelerating away from the location as fast as possible, hoping the girl hadn't seen me.